What is involved in IT Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that IT Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Infrastructure Utility IU journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Infrastructure Utility IU leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Infrastructure related domains to cover and 146 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Infrastructure, Cloud computing, Computer hardware, Computer network, Converged infrastructure, Dynamic infrastructure, Hyper-converged infrastructure, IT management, IT service, IT service management, Information infrastructure, Information technology, Infrastructure, Infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure as a service, McGraw-Hill, Networking hardware, Software, Software-defined infrastructure:
IT Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Group IT Infrastructure tasks and research ways can we become the IT Infrastructure company that would put us out of business.
– For your IT Infrastructure project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– How can you negotiate IT Infrastructure successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IT Infrastructure with what users do day-to-day?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Cloud computing projects and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Cloud computing results.
– Another critical success factor is that appropriate governance needs to be in place. That is, is an appropriate organizational structure in place to manage the organization facing the cloud computing solution?
– To what extent do you believe the use of cloud computing will improve its ability to provide support for the business in the next two years?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– How should we report on the geographic location (street address) for cloud computing solutions?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Does the rise of cloud computing make managed hosting less desired and less important?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IT Infrastructure project?
– In which ways will Cloud Computing influence our approach Service Management
– What are the ways in which cloud computing and big data can work together?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– What defines a true cloud solution versus the quasi cloud?
– How is cloud computing related to web analytics?
– How can skill-level changes improve IT Infrastructure?
– what is New About Cloud Computing Security?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Understand Computer hardware goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IT Infrastructure leader?
– What is our IT Infrastructure Strategy?
– What is Effective IT Infrastructure?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Computer network leadership and oversee Computer network requirements.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IT Infrastructure into the services that we provide?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the IT Infrastructure requirements in detail?
– Do IT Infrastructure rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Converged infrastructure tasks and find out what it really means.
– Think about the functions involved in your IT Infrastructure project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we measure improved IT Infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is IT Infrastructure Required?
Dynamic infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Dynamic infrastructure planning and get answers.
– What is the source of the strategies for IT Infrastructure strengthening and reform?
– What are the barriers to increased IT Infrastructure production?
– What is our formula for success in IT Infrastructure ?
Hyper-converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Hyper-converged infrastructure risks and document what potential Hyper-converged infrastructure megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Is maximizing IT Infrastructure protection the same as minimizing IT Infrastructure loss?
– Think of your IT Infrastructure project. what are the main functions?
IT management Critical Criteria:
Add value to IT management projects and clarify ways to gain access to competitive IT management services.
– Does IT Infrastructure include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IT Infrastructure. How do we gain traction?
– Have we adopted and promoted the companys culture of integrity management, including ethics, business practices and Human Resources evaluations?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– What information does Configuration Management provide to the it management of an organization?
– How do mission and objectives affect the IT Infrastructure processes of our organization?
– Are there On-premise it management tools?
IT service Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on IT service management and finalize specific methods for IT service acceptance.
– Can cloud service providers offer the flexibility to provide availability service levels in line with the customers requirements?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– In your organization, which group oversees or coordinates your it service management capabilities?
– Does current usage support ongoing contract negotiations for maintenance and upgrade renewals?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What factors influence the success of implementing it service management?
– If your itsm team is slated for growth, what are the relevant reasons?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– Are you thinking about implementing itil standardsbased tools?
– Why are business sponsors for IT projects so important?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– Will the customers and consumers be notified?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Are we over licensed?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Review IT service management risks and define what do we need to start doing with IT service management.
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Have you deployed, or are you looking to deploy, any application discovery and dependency mapping (ADDM) solutions?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– How much time does it take to consolidate information into meaningful reports?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What availability levels are provided?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Where does the data reside?
– Are we doing things right?
– Quality of Service Met?
Information infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Derive from Information infrastructure leadership and summarize a clear Information infrastructure focus.
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IT Infrastructure project?
– Are we Assessing IT Infrastructure and Risk?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Align Information technology strategies and catalog what business benefits will Information technology goals deliver if achieved.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– How is the value delivered by IT Infrastructure being measured?
Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Analyze Infrastructure results and question.
– The slower data transfer rate between a compute cluster and a storage array has been adversely impacting multiple cloud services. which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– Critical to the centralized coordination of technical infrastructure is the cost model used. how can costs be managed to support compliance and good practice rather than hinder the uptake?
– Which cloud deployment model enables to provisioning the cloud infrastructure for exclusive use by organizations that have shared concerns?
– Will IT Infrastructure have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Which of these practices do commenters see as being the most critical for the secure operation of critical infrastructure?
– Are all servers actively monitored and access logged and monitored through it@jh systems center?
– Is there a IT Infrastructure Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What technical specifications should we build into our infrastructure to produce quality data?
– Are you buying into a cloud architecture/infrastructure/ service which is not compliant?
– How does a domain name server balance client traffic across a cluster of servers?
– Which backup solution supports only source-based data deduplication?
– Which statement is true about a trunk link in a vlan environment?
– Which amazon cloud product recently experienced a massive outage?
– Which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– Why should data center elements be monitored?
– Which migration strategy is recommended?
– What is a benefit of cloud computing?
– What is the current infrastructure?
– What is private cloud?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Review Infrastructure as Code planning and improve Infrastructure as Code service perception.
– Do we monitor the IT Infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– To what extent does management recognize IT Infrastructure as a tool to increase the results?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Explore Infrastructure as a service issues and check on ways to get started with Infrastructure as a service.
– Consider your own IT Infrastructure project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What is the total cost related to deploying IT Infrastructure, including any consulting or professional services?
McGraw-Hill Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about McGraw-Hill strategies and gather McGraw-Hill models .
– How do we ensure that implementations of IT Infrastructure products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Are there IT Infrastructure problems defined?
Networking hardware Critical Criteria:
Reason over Networking hardware governance and devise Networking hardware key steps.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a IT Infrastructure project?
– What are the long-term IT Infrastructure goals?
Software Critical Criteria:
Look at Software projects and optimize Software leadership as a key to advancement.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What happens after development: how should developers release component-based software and how can users subsequently obtain such software especially if the software under consideration consists of many components that are released by many organizations at many different geographical locations?
– If the path forward waits until a new generation of devices essentially replaces an old generation of devices which could be somewhere between 5 and 15 years, what does the path forward look like for the legacy devices and their software maintenance?
– Many times we look for new applications to meet our business needs – requirements are defined, software is evaluated, software selected, software configuration begins – Ready Set Go! More like Ready, Set, but what about the data?
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project accessible and in what modalities, scope, licenses (e.g. licencing framework for research and education, embargo periods, commercial exploitation, etc.)?
– How can the balance between tacit and explicit knowledge and their diffusion be found in agile software development when there are several parties involved?
– Does your software provide roleand group-based security options that allow business users to securely create and publish their work?
– Does the company have equipment dependent on remote upgrades to firmware or software, or have plans to implement such systems?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate IT Infrastructure delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is anti-virus software installed on all computers/servers that connect to your network?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– Who will provide, i.e., own, the hardware/software needed?
– Are there SaaS tools for allocating workers to tasks?
– How can a conceptual agile framework be developed?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– Is the system subject to external regulation?
– What about large teams?
Software-defined infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Software-defined infrastructure leadership and be persistent.
– what is the best design framework for IT Infrastructure organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are the disruptive IT Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Infrastructure Utility IU Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Infrastructure External links:
Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations Management & …
The term infrastructure in an information technology (IT) context refers to an enterprise’s entire collection of hardware, software, networks, data centers, facilities and related equipment used to develop, test, operate, monitor, manage and/or support information technology services.
What is IT Infrastructure? – Definition from Techopedia
Cloud computing External links:
CRM Software & Cloud Computing Solutions – Salesforce UK
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Computer hardware External links:
computer hardware A+ Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
What Is Computer Hardware – Study.com
Computer network External links:
Computer network (eBook, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Converged infrastructure External links:
Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Solutions | vSAN | VMware
FlexPod | Converged Infrastructure from Cisco & NetApp
Dynamic infrastructure External links:
TETRA Dynamic Infrastructure – Home | Facebook
Cloud monitoring for dynamic infrastructure by New Relic
Load Balancing a Dynamic Infrastructure with NGINX, …
Hyper-converged infrastructure External links:
Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) | Hyper Converge | VMware
Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Solutions | vSAN | VMware
IT management External links:
Continuum: IT Management, BDR and RMM Software Built …
Home – ITS Partners – The Productive IT Management …
mindSHIFT’s Total IT Management Web Portal
IT service External links:
IT Services Company Serving Jacksonville, Orlando & Tampa
IT Service Catalog
IT Service Desk Live Chat – Delta Air Lines
IT service management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management (ITSM) – BMC Software
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
Information infrastructure External links:
Financial and Banking Information Infrastructure …
The National Health Information Infrastructure (NHII) | ASPE
What is Information Infrastructure | IGI Global
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Infrastructure External links:
Institute For Sustainable Infrastructure
Harris County Public Infrastructure Department – HCPID
Infrastructure as Code External links:
Implementing Infrastructure as Code | ThoughtWorks …
‘Infrastructure as Code’ in Chicago (Chicago, IL) | Meetup
Infrastructure as a service External links:
What’s New in Azure Infrastructure as a service
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
[PDF]EIS Service Guide: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
McGraw-Hill External links:
eBookstore – McGraw-Hill Education
McGraw-Hill Education – Official Site
Networking hardware External links:
Summit Information Resources – Networking Hardware …
Networking Hardware for Reliable Device Connectivity | Perle
Meraki Networking Hardware -Take Your Network By The …
Software External links:
InSite SiteWork Excavation Software Overview
Insite Software | Built for B2B™
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight