What is involved in Gap Analysis
Find out what the related areas are that Gap Analysis connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Gap Analysis thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Gap Analysis journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Gap Analysis leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Gap Analysis related domains to cover and 136 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Gap Analysis, Benchmarking, Business, Business process, Capability, Capital, Growth-share matrix, Information technology, Management, Office of Government Commerce, Operations research, Organization, PRINCE2, Production possibilities frontier, Resource allocation:
Gap Analysis Critical Criteria:
Shape Gap Analysis decisions and catalog what business benefits will Gap Analysis goals deliver if achieved.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Gap Analysis models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Gap Analysis activities?
– How to Secure Gap Analysis?
Benchmarking Critical Criteria:
Chat re Benchmarking strategies and describe the risks of Benchmarking sustainability.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Gap Analysis with what users do day-to-day?
– Are accountability and ownership for Gap Analysis clearly defined?
– Why is Gap Analysis important for you now?
Business Critical Criteria:
Study Business adoptions and be persistent.
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Does our business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of its it functions in the event of a disaster?
– Do you measure the relational components of the alliance along with its economic benefits?
– Is there a danger that the supplier may act in an opportunistic manner over time?
– Does the business envisage the offering of services to individuals in the Union?
– What level of change can blockchain bring to your business and organization?
– How will it help your business compete in the context of Digital Marketing?
– How well does the product fit our current and planned business model(s)?
– What are some software and skills that every Data Scientist should know?
– Do we appropriately integrate Cybersecurity risk into business risk?
– What social media dashboards are available and how do they compare?
– Is Business Intelligence a more natural fit within Finance or IT?
– How do enterprise systems provide value for businesses?
– Where is the business intelligence bottleneck?
– Can your product map ad-hoc query results?
– How well did we address the hard issues?
– When to Go for a Strategic Alliance?
– Who Uses SAP Business One?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Business process results and find out what it really means.
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What are the disruptive Gap Analysis technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Gap Analysis requirements in detail?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Gap Analysis move?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– What/how are business processes defined?
Capability Critical Criteria:
Track Capability quality and mentor Capability customer orientation.
– When considering our organizational capability to make desired changes, do we ask the following questions: are the staffing level, funding, and physical plant potential assets or deterrents, and to what degree?
– Are items which are not calibrated to their full capability or which require functional check only labeled to indicate the applicable condition?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– How do interorganizational and interpersonal networks affect our strategic adaptive capability in a transition economy?
– Does the company have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– Do we have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Has the appropriate access to relevant data and analysis capability been granted?
– Do you have the capability to measure cost per lead or cost per acquisition?
– What is your leaderships capability of sponsoring and supporting change?
– What is the purpose of Gap Analysis in relation to the mission?
– What are the business goals Gap Analysis is aiming to achieve?
– Is unnecessary capability harmful?
– What is a Capability?
Capital Critical Criteria:
Guard Capital tactics and attract Capital skills.
– What are the major differences between cash flow analyses for an expansion project and those for a replacement project?
– Should analysts measure cash flows of capital budgeting projects from the viewpoint of the subsidiary or the parent?
– Can we be rewired to use the power of data analytics to improve our management of human capital?
– What are the primary distinctions between foreign capital investments and domestic investments?
– What is the appropriate treatment of recaptured NOWC in terms of computing terminal cash flows?
– Looking back, what kind of stock-price performance would you expect to see for this firm?
– Why should the capital budgeting process use cash flows instead of accounting profits?
– What is the difference between mandatory and discretionary capital investments?
– Why should corporate managers consider only incremental, after-tax cash flows?
– Why are capital budgeting decisions important to the success of a firm?
– How does a lock box-concentration banking system impact a firms float?
– What are the yearly depreciation allowances using ACRS depreciation?
– What are the various types of capital budgeting decisions?
– Which costs should be included in incremental cash flows?
– What are the six stages of the capital budgeting process?
– Are there diminishing returns to risk taking?
– How do projects get considered?
– What is a capital account?
– What are our Human Capital Needs?
Growth-share matrix Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Growth-share matrix visions and adjust implementation of Growth-share matrix.
– In what ways are Gap Analysis vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Does our organization need more Gap Analysis education?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Depict Information technology failures and achieve a single Information technology view and bringing data together.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Do we monitor the Gap Analysis decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Why should we adopt a Gap Analysis framework?
Management Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Management tactics and arbitrate Management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Is your firm represented by any third party firm or individual whose purpose is marketing and/or gathering assets for the firm and are compensated as such?
– Do IAM requests contain all necessary prerequisite information and have the analysis steps been performed by the requestors?
– What procedures does your intended long-term data storage facility have in place for preservation and backup?
– Are documented procedures in place for user and password management and are they monitored for compliance?
– What processes do we have in place to harvest licenses from disposed hardware?
– What password parameters have been established for companywide applications?
– What technical skills do the administrators and user individuals hold?
– How do you hold people accountable when you do not have position power?
– Consequences of Compromise What are the consequences of compromise?
– Are segregation of duty conflicts identified within iam processes?
– How can we ensure that training is done on time or done at all?
– How does Total Quality Service Effects Toward Customer Loyalty?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office (PMO)?
– Who will be responsible for carrying out each activity?
– How do I get CRM right in a slowing economy?
– What goes under version control?
– What Tools Can I Deploy?
Office of Government Commerce Critical Criteria:
Guide Office of Government Commerce adoptions and innovate what needs to be done with Office of Government Commerce.
– Among the Gap Analysis product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Gap Analysis forward?
– What business benefits will Gap Analysis goals deliver if achieved?
Operations research Critical Criteria:
Reason over Operations research outcomes and attract Operations research skills.
– Does Gap Analysis include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Is a Gap Analysis Team Work effort in place?
Organization Critical Criteria:
See the value of Organization quality and integrate design thinking in Organization innovation.
– Having a process in place to manage identities and access to systems and applications sounds like an ideal situation. However, how can organizations ensure that people are not circumventing the process and adding their own accounts or the accounts of others without proper authorization or adherence to defined processes?
– Organizational support in providing services: do managers provide encouragement and support for collaborative activities and what is the impact on operations, documentation, billing, and Risk Management?
– Describe your organizations policies and procedures governing risk generally and Cybersecurity risk specifically. How does senior management communicate and oversee these policies and procedures?
– Consider your own Gap Analysis project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Along with your mission, be sure to develop a clear vision. what could your organization look like with a mature data governance program?
– Does my message relay how the change will affect employees and the business in the short and long term?
– What are the organizations characteristics that appear to support better employment outcomes?
– Was your software written by your organization or acquired from a third party?
– Do we provide job skills transition programs for laid off employees. Why?
– What is your organizations history of meeting recovery time objectives?
– Is the change familiar or common to those who will implement it?
– Think about: how and why was the change introduced and by whom?
– Project Team: Who will be on the project and for which dates?
– Should organizational behavior management expand its content?
– What authority does the team have to act independently?
– Is your organization ready for an ats?
– How would proficiency be demonstrated?
– Is this a high-risk change?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
Adapt PRINCE2 tactics and oversee PRINCE2 requirements.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Gap Analysis values?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
Production possibilities frontier Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Production possibilities frontier decisions and report on the economics of relationships managing Production possibilities frontier and constraints.
– How can skill-level changes improve Gap Analysis?
– What are specific Gap Analysis Rules to follow?
– How do we go about Securing Gap Analysis?
Resource allocation Critical Criteria:
Gauge Resource allocation visions and oversee Resource allocation management by competencies.
– Is there a Gap Analysis Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we Improve Gap Analysis service perception, and satisfaction?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Gap Analysis Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Gap Analysis External links:
How to Write a Gap Analysis Report | Chron.com
Gap Analysis Template: The 3 Key Elements of Effective …
Benchmarking External links:
Welcome to B3 Benchmarking
E/M Utilization Benchmarking Tool – E/M Calculator – AAPC
Building Energy Use Benchmarking | Department of Energy
Business External links:
Small Business Administration – Official Site
Business process External links:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
What Is a Business Process? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Capability External links:
[PDF]How to Write a Capability Statement – …
2018 Jeep Cherokee – Trail Rated Capability Features
Capital External links:
Capital Letters in Titles | More Novel by the Week
Capital and Lowercase Letters in Titles (Title Case)
Headline Capitalization – Official Site
Growth-share matrix External links:
Growth-Share Matrix Examples – SmartDraw
Growth-Share Matrix – Read How to Make BCGs, See …
Information technology External links:
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Student Email | Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Management External links:
Title Management | Login
Homes For Rent – Title One Management
Office of Government Commerce External links:
Office of Government Commerce Website | The National …
Office of Government Commerce (OGC) – The National …
Office of Government Commerce (OGC) | Practical Law
Operations research External links:
Systems Engineering and Operations Research
[PDF]Course Syllabus Course Title: Operations Research
Operations Research on JSTOR
Organization External links:
Our Organization | New York State Land Title Association
PRINCE2 External links:
Certifications | ITIL, PRINCE2, MSP, RESILIA | AXELOS
How much does the Prince2 Foundation exam cost? – Quora
Project Management Basics: PRINCE2 Explained – Wrike
Resource allocation External links:
[PPT]Resource Allocation – Old Dominion University
Resource Allocation | Prose and Purpose – Inside Higher Ed